Best harvested on warm, sunny days this recipe is easy to follow and bottles a beautifully, fragrant taste of summer.
8 elderflower heads
400g castor sugar
600 ml water
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 dessert spoon of citric acid
1. Shake, then gently rinse the elderflowers to remove any insects, and then place in a large bowl.
2. Put the sugar into a pan with the water and bring up to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Add the lemon zest and juice to the bowl of elderflowers. Pour over the sugar-water solution, and then stir in the citric acid. Cover with a cloth and then leave at room temperature for 24 hours
4. Strain the cordial through a muslin cloth
5. Pour into bottles, screw on the lids and store somewhere cool and dark ready for use.