If you have grown your own pumpkins this year now is the time to put them to good use and turn them into fantastic Halloween Lanterns, don’t throw away the lovely orange flesh, use it to make some delicious Mini Halloween Pumpkin Cakes.
Mini Halloween Pumpkin Cakes
- 250g Pumpkin Flesh (peeled weight)
- 150g Self-Raising Flour
- 150g Light Brown Sugar
- 100g Butter/Margarine
- 90g Sultanas
- 1 teaspoon Orange Juice
- zest of ½ Orange
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons Mixed Spice
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Line a 12 hole cake tin with paper cases.
- Grate the pumpkin flesh.
- Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Melt the butter/margarine in the microwave and then beat in the eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Add the orange juice, orange zest, sultanas and the grated pumpkin and stir well.
- Spoon the mixture into the bun cases.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and springy.
- 75g (3oz) Butter/Margarine, softened
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 225g (8oz) Icing Sugar, sifted
- Few drops of food colouring red/green
Beat together the butter, milk, food colouring and half the sugar to combine, then add the remaining sugar and beat until fluffy.
- When the cakes are cool, generously spread them with the topping.
- For ‘Snake Stew Cakes’ keep the topping messy and press jelly snakes into it or for
- ‘Spooky Spider Cakes’ smooth the topping and add 2 round sweets for eyes and Liquorice Strips or Strawberry Laces for legs.
These cakes make an unusual alternative to sweets for your visiting trick or treaters.
Let’s hope that we have a moonlit, dry and crisp Halloween night, as being a soggy ghost, witch or skeleton isn’t much fun.