As gardeners we all know how important water is, conserving it is important to keep our plants alive and our vegetable and fruit gardens productive.
Children love watering in the garden but often more water goes on them than on the plants a Non Spill Watering Can would make a wise investment and save on washing!
Containers, Patio Tubs, Growing Bags, Hanging Baskets, window boxes and Standing Raised Beds all require extra watering to prevent them from drying out, the addition of Rain Gel Water Storage Granules to your compost/soil will substantially reduce the need for watering as the granules absorb large amounts of water which is then slowly released to the plant roots just where it is needed most.
Here are a few other ways to conserve water in the garden:
- During hot weather it is best to water your plants/garden in the morning or evening when temperatures are cooler to minimise evaporation.
- Spreading a layer of organic mulch around plants retains moisture as well as suppressing weeds.
- Apply water only as fast as the soil can absorb it.
- Water only when necessary, most plants die from over-watering than under-watering
- Wash fruit and vegetables in a pan instead of running water from the tap.
With hose pipe bans looking likely in the worst affected areas as soon as next month I think we could all do our bit for the environment by saving and reducing water usage and not just in areas where there is a water shortage.