Huge thanks to everyone who took part in our October competitions. The word search proved to be a hugely popular indoor activity for lots of gardening clubs and many of the pumpkin recipes were just delicious!
…The first correct word search entry out of the hat was from the gardening club at More Park R.C Primary School in Kent. Congratulations to you all your bird feeding prizes are on their way to you. We do hope you enjoy feeding the birds at your school over the winter months.
Our favourite pumpkin recipe came from Ileana Fernandes in Slough. Congratulations Ileana for a truly yummy entry. Below is her recipe for pumpkin, ricotta and pesto lasagne.
We have found that one of the secrets to a good recipe is some fresh herbs to complement the other ingredients. For everything you need to grow your own herbs on a windowsill take a look here.
- Roast the cubed pumpkin, mushrooms, onions and grated garlic cloves with a little olive oil and seasoning for around 30 to 40 minutes until soft and caramelised
- Meanwhile prepare the ricotta sauce by mixing 2 tubs of ricotta with a little milk to thin it out
- Blend some fresh basil with olive oil and a clove of garlic and then add to the ricotta
- Mix well and season to taste
- When the vegetables are cooked layer them on the bottom of a dish and follow with lasagne sheets
- For a more intense basil flavour add some more pesto or fresh basil leaves on top of each pasta sheet layer
- Add some ricotta mixture on top and continue to layer in this fashion
- Finally mix the remainder of the ricotta sauce with a little more milk to make a more runny texture and pour over the top lasagne sheet
- Add grated cheese over the top and cook in the oven for 20 to 3o minutes
- Serve with fresh green salad drizzled with pesto – DELICIOUS!
If you would like the chance to win a bird bath, a wooden bird table and some bird feed mix why not enter our family competition for November 2010. …And if you are from a school have a go at our school competition where you could win a Recycling DVD, a leaf mould composter and a bottle of compost magic! The closing date for both competitions is 30th November 2010 so get your entries to us as soon as you can!