As the days begin to shorten and the nights take on a cooler air it becomes an important time for animals such as hedgehogs, as they start to hunt out places to hibernate. So this months family competition has a slightly prickly theme!
See how much you know about these enchanting creatures by entering our Hedgehog Quiz. The closing date is 30 September 2010.
The first correct set of answers out of the hat will win the perfect home for a hedgehog – a Hogitat plus the laminated Field Guide to Hedgehogs and some Hedgehog Food which is perfectly designed to give hedgehogs a nutritious meal to see them into their winter hibernation.
So here are the questions
(1) Why are hedgehogs known as the gardeners friend?
(2) Name two ways that you can encourage hedgehogs into your garden
(3) Hedgehogs are mainly nocturnal – what does that mean?
(4) True or False: A hedgehog may travel 2 miles in a night?
(5) Give one reason why animals hibernate in winter