If you are in the enviable position of having a surplus of ripe tomatoes why not have a go at making this delicious soup. If you haven’t grown your own, or if like mine they are still green, locally sourced tomatoes are fairly cheap to buy at this time of year.
Food tastes 100 times better if you grow your own! For all your Grow Your Own needs visit www.recycleworks .co.uk. With everything from raised beds, compost bins, tools and books there is something for everyone.
This recipe is totally yummy and extremely nutritious!
Knob of butter
1 clove of garlic
1 bay leaf
1 medium potato
1 lb fresh tomatoes
dash of tomato puree
1 pint vegetable stock
quantity of milk
What to do
- Chop the onion and gently fry in the butter until clear
- Add a clove of crushed garlic, mix and fry a little longer
- Peel and chop the potato and add
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and add
- Add in the bay leaf and stock
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes
- Allow to cool
- Blend until smooth
- Add milk as desired to obtain preferred thickness
- Reheat before serving
Serve with crusty bread or my children’s favourite cheese on toast croutons!